Today I got a small head of Chinese cabbage from the farm. Rebecca says its “Blues” Chinese cabbage from Fedco Seeds. Fedco Seeds is her favorite seed company, both for their products as well as their vision. Fedco is a cooperative and offers a large selection of certified organic cultivars and regional heirloom varieties.
So back to lunch… I’m not a hardcore foodie, if I’m going to cook it’s got to be simple and easy, especially at lunchtime. I’m a fan of prepared condiments and sauces. In this dish I used prepared Chinese black bean sauce, and Sriracha hot chili sauce for a little spice (find both in the Asian section of your grocery store, Central Market in Poulsbo has a good selection.
Easy Chinese Cabbage with black bean sauce
- Rinse and chop cabbage
- Heat a small amount of water in a large pan
- Add the cabbage and steam for a couple of minutes until it wilts and the most of the water cooks away
- Add a couple of heaping teaspoons of black bean sauce and cook a minute or two more
- Stir in a drizzle of sesame oil
- Top with hot chili sauce to taste